Monday, December 29, 2008

Lots of Barkin' & Bitin' Going on Over Marley & Me

Although the movie, Marley & Me, promises to be a big hit, especially with fans of John Grogan's mega-bestseller book, not everyone loves the story and the human characters.

In Gina Spadafori's Pet Connection Column, "'Marley and Me'-Don't Try This at Home" (December 26, 2008, http://is.gd/e18L), Gina expresses the distaste that is shared by other animal lovers.

Gina writes, "But the book? I found it too irritating for words, and gave up on the reading halfway through. I found myself wanting to grab the man by the lapels and beg him to get competent help from a good trainer or behaviorist. There was nothing wrong with Marley that some consistent, well-informed environmental changes, training and exercise couldn't have fixed. "Bad" dogs just aren't funny to me. And now, of course, Marley's a movie. Thanks, but I'll pass."

The column elicited a flurry of responses from readers.

Kathleen Weaver wrote, "I'm glad you confessed. I feel the same way. I spent an almost an 8 year period of my life, finding out of control labs and retrievers, placing them with potential K9 officers and training dog and officer to find dope. Made a lot of people happy, especially the frustrated owners. The last thing I want to do, is waste almost 2 hours of my life watching clueless dog owners. I can do that anytime I want, just go to a local park or worse yet, dog park."

We posted a link to Gina's column on http://twitter.com/angelanimals and on our Angel Animals Facebook page, (Facebook-Linda-Allen Anderson). We also received comments from people who had not wanted to go against the grain and admit that they felt squeamish about labeling Marley as "the world's worst dog.

Megan, a reader of Gina's column, offered the point of view that we've heard expressed most often about why millions of people appreciated the drama in Marley & Me. Megan writes, "I think people loved the book because it makes them feel less guilty about their own shortcomings with their pets (if someone makes unruly pets or storm phobias seem funny, it becomes a character trait rather than a problem to be dealt with). Sad sad sad."

Marley & Me has become an empire with children's books and now a movie that tugs at the heartstrings. To their credit, although the Grogans almost got rid of Marley early on, they didn't join the ranks of the "dumpsters." Instead, they wound up keeping and loving Marley throughout his life.

So what do you think about Marley & Me?

1 comment:

  1. Marley & Me can provide a great eye-opener to would-be dog guardians. But advocates can’t expect the film to offer that message. Marley & Me may be based on a true story but it is mass entertainment. It's not a socially conscious film and it's not meant to change the world.

    I always try to find the positive in things or a proactive way to work with a dynamic rather than complaining about what’s out there.

    Rescues and shelters have the opportunity to use the mass exposure of Marley & Me (both film and book) as a way to help educate people regarding the importance of providing direction and guidance to dogs when they enter our lives.

    People who are 'in-the-know' with animals understand the importance of providing guidance and direction for dogs, but those who aren't may just love the energy of a dog and not understand that there is more to having a dog in ones life than meets the eye.

    Marley & Me shows the 'what not to do'. Now the rescues and shelters and even those animal advocates in the media need to figure out how to use this film as a teaching tool. It’s as simple as signs posted like “Don’t let your dog be a “Marley” sign up for obedience courses now!” Or writing an article like” 5 ways to avoid having a Marley in your life.”

    Speaking as someone who learned on the job (I had my own Marley in my life) Miranda would have had a different life had I known then what I know now. When I see even the commercials for Marley & Me I am reminded of my beautiful Miranda and laugh with fond memories. But I can tell you from experience, people adopt dogs because they love them, not because they know what to do with them. They think love is all they need and love is just the tip of the iceberg.

    I hope Marley & Me can become a great teaching tool and help those with the love in their heart to adopt a dog, learn how to best support them also.

    ReplyDelete