Sunday, December 7, 2008

Emotional Lives of Animals: Miranda

I wanted to share one of my own experiences of witnessing the emotional lives of animals. My dog Miranda who passed on April 15, 2003 was a nervous dog, but she was also a very loving dog.
On December 26, 2002 my other dog Pebbles passed unexpectedly. She developed bloat, a condition where the stomach lifts and twists causing the body to fill with air. It happened at 11:30 at night. We rushed Pebbles to the Veterinary ER and while they were trying to stabilize her, she went into cardiac arrest and died.

We returned home without her, my husband, Miranda and I all in shock.

As we processed Pebbles' passing I noticed that Miranda's eyes were squinting. No tears flowed but it was the same expression a human's eyes have when they cry and I realized that Miranda was crying, but without the tears.

I'd love to hear your stories of recognizing emotions in animals.
Remember to tune in tomorrow, December 8th for my interview Marc Bekoff, author of Emotional Lives of Animals.

Blessings,

Christine Agro

No comments:

Post a Comment